Soccer Friction Headline Animator

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Schuster Plans To Attack And Keep Raúl

Bernd Schuster has promised to make Real Madrid a more entertaining side and will install a more attacking system than the one that Fabio Capello used.

The German coach already has a clear idea of what he wants from his new players and was quick to dismiss reports that he wanted to sell Raúl.


Capello was sacked despite winning the league after some turgid displays and Schuster is determined that Madrid will now be more pleasing on the eye."I will start to work based on how I used to play," he explained. "I know people will expect a lot from me now that I'm at Real Madrid, but I'm not too worried about that."I am more concerned with how well the team plays. I want my teams to play the way I understand football. Those who have seen me play will know the style my teams will play in."I am convinced Real Madrid will now play well. We'll see how far we go, but we have to aspire to do extremely well with a squad as good as this one."It is important for me to give the players more independence on the pitch, especially in attack. I want there to be a lot of movement because I like players to be in different areas of the pitch at times.


"We are going to bring some new players and I am sure of being able to change the style in which the team plays. I am sure we will earn good results if we play well."I think next year's team is going to defend further forward than last season, so that attacking players, such as Robinho, Guti and Raúl, don't have to run back too much in order to defend."


Reflecting on rumours that he does value Raúl, the new trainer was adamant that the striker is an integral part of his plans."People here love Raúl," Schuster continued. "Real Madrid has always been his club and he has given his all for it. "I would like him to retire here."I think he is one of those players capable of deciding where to retire because he is a great professional who takes care of himself in order to always be in the best physical form."


He has had some difficult years, but I am convinced his goals will help us next season. That's what he does best."Rather than feel added pressure due to Capello's success last term, Schuster believes that Madrid's success means that he can focus on creating an entertaining at the Bernabéu.


"The League title was very important because it would have been unbelievable for Real Madrid not to have won anything in four straight years," he stated."Things were done well because they had the drive to win, even if it meant not playing flashy football."There's less pressure now and I feel happy for that. Thanks to this title I can focus more on pleasing the fans."

0 comments: