Soccer Friction Headline Animator

Friday, July 13, 2007

Fabregas Rejects Madrid, Decides To Stay At Arsenal

Cesc Fabregas has firmly rejected moving to Real Madrid, insisting on Thursday night that: I couldn’t leave Arsenal in the lurch.”


Former Catalan midfielder Fabregas, 20, has commmitted his future to has manager and mentor, Arsene Wenger, resisting the temptation of a £21.5million move to the Bernabeu after discussions with Wenger on Wednesday.

Fabregas was quoted in The Sun as saying: “I’m very grateful to Real and it is an honour that such a great club is interested in me. But after the departure of Thierry Henry to Barcelona I couldn’t leave Arsenal in the lurch.

“I spoke to Real’s president Ramon Calderon and sport director Pedrag Mijatovic and they are spectacular people.

“It was very satisfying to listen to them as Real Madrid is a great club but I have decided to stay at Arsenal.

“I had a long talk with Wenger. He is someone I can talk to about anything.

“I have total confidence in the boss that he will sign a new deal.

“Wenger believes in this team and has a lot of confidence in the squad.

“I am only 20 and all I have to do is enjoy my football and improve — and I want to do that with this team. I will try to win titles with Arsenal and give my all to Arsene Wenger.
“I will always be grateful to him for giving me my chance.”

Such commitment is a huge boost - not only toenger but also to Arsenal fans who have endured a summer of speculation about the futures of both men against a background of pundits pronouncing that Arsenal are now a spent force.
Fabregas said he hoped Arsenal would mave a move for Samuel Eto’o from his former club, Barcelona.

0 comments: